Thursday, November 5, 2009

Polar Bears

A lone polar bear was sighted about two miles from camp today and warning came across the radio. I did some research online to find out more about the bears and their characteristics and found that they can maintain a gait of 3.5 mph for several hours. That in mind if this bear was to catch a whiff of something good to eat(bears can smell a seal over 1 mile away buried in the snow) and started heading our way it could potential reach the camp in less than an hour. Given these variables why do we not see more bears around camp? The only conclusion that I can reach is the food here smells so bad that the bears are not interested in it. Unfortunately visibility today was less than 1 mile so you could not see it from here. It was about 300 yards off the road and I missed a ride into town which would have taken me right by it because I was in meetings most of the day. Speaking of meetings, I read Death by Meeting by Patrick Lencioni last night. Great read. It could inspire anyone to overcome the mistakes that cause meetings to be boring and unproductive. I recommend it for anyone who finds themselves in a meeting once a week.

2 comments:

  1. Good to hear from you. Can you post some pics of sun at middle of day?

    Wes

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I get another clear day I will. So far all but one day has been cloudy which means that the sky is just a dull white/grey color. This color blends in with the ice pack and snow in such a way that the horizon line is difficult to distinguish. In a picture it all looks the same.

    ReplyDelete